Friday, April 24, 2009

How Connie Got Her Groove Back and How Belly Dancing Made it Into a Church


After 5 years of marriage, we had our first baby. 1973 was an exciting time; experiencing changes in my body, anxious to reach all the milestones in my pregnancy and the day came when we left the hospital with a perfect, tiny little boy in my arms.

Then motherhood really hit. There was the lack of sleep, the learning curve, trying to breastfeed having only a La Lache Handbook for advise. The weight gain wasn't coming off completely and I was appalled that I was likely never to get back into my wardrobe because my pelvic bones spread, the arches in my feet fell and none of my shoes fit. Worse, I couldn't even do a single sit-up and my once flat, hard tummy was flabby. I was too scared to diet because I needed to make milk and I wasn't getting any exercise because I couldn't leave the baby for very long. My husband was working long hours and away on weekends and I felt like a single mom most of the time. I was exhausted and I really, really needed some "me time."

The grocery store I shopped at in Castro Valley was called the Co Op, a concept that the store is owned by it's shopping members to save on food cost. Being a Berkeley organization, it also offered community classes for special interests like Chinese cooking, gardening, backpacking, quilting or belly dancing. My sister, who actually read the Co Op newsletters that had the new class announcements was the first to sign up for the belly dancing class and once I got my husband to commit to being home on dance night, I joined her. My dormant inner dancer was awakened and set free.

I dove into learning the dance and playing the finger cymbals. It was like patting your head and rubbing your tummy exercise at first. Step dip for the first two beats, hip swing on the second. We learned the cabaret style dance and some tribal dances; the ones where the rhythms got a little bazaar for a western ear, but made it all the more exotic. I quickly got through the beginning classes and went with the advanced class (at the instructor's invitation) to take a class with Roman Balentine in Berkeley, a well known male dancer and teacher at the time. Eventually I started to perform a little: one time in front of the Co Op as a practice run, once for a senior center and the very scary one at an actual night club for "student night."

Then there was going to be a big recital. My instructor and I purchased twin drums called dumbeks. These were American made and the special thing about them was that there were leather loops on the sides so that a shoulder strap could be attached. The best drums came from Iran. But at that time, Iran was closed down to the US for trade. The Shaw had been overthrown and Islamic radicals were rattling their swords at the infidel United States. Things haven't really changed much. Resources for belly dancers at that time were scarce to study customs of dance, costuming or music. We pretty much had to rely on our own impressions and what my instructor already knew. We were going to choreograph a routine playing the drum rather than the cymbals. We took some drum lessons and it was the head/tummy time again. This routine would be more tribal.

But the winds were shifting in my life. I got pregnant again and I started attending a bible study.

Once I began to seep into the "inner circle" of my fellow belly dancers, I observed that these women who had been belly dancing for years were very holistic in their spirituality; more into the psychic energy influences in life, reincarnation, auras and sometimes tarot. But although I like a good "woo-woo" story and explore what-ifs of the unknown, I just wasn't feeling very comfortable with the level of what they felt was the true nature of God and life. Though I entertained it for awhile, it felt shallow, incomplete; it didn't feed my soul.

I suffered a miscarriage and in my time of recovery, decided that the belly dancing was going to go away, or rather I was going to go away.... Enter the Fellowship.

This little bible study was a small group of young, mostly single adults. Actually, I was one of the older ones at the ripe old age of 26. The study wasn't attached to any church and for those who weren't attached to a church either, they got together at a park or wherever for Sunday worship. At some point, they decided to become an actual church and used the Masonic Lodge to meet. I think they aligned with Four Square Church, but that was always a little vague to me. There was lots of singing and music. The only instruments were guitars and I think one flute and piano. I asked the pastor if he would like me to add the cymbals where appropriate. He was uncertain, saying that anything rhythmic had to be really on. Though he didn't flat out say no, he didn't seem to encourage it either. A few weeks later, I finally got up the courage to join in. I took his concerns to heart and only emphasized with a single clear tone in the cymbals rather than a rhythm and saw a grin come across the pastor's face. I was in.

Eventually, the church being evangelical in nature, wanted to add dancing, pointing out that during the golden age of King David, there was always music and dancing during worship. So, slowly, a "dance troupe" developed with me involved. I did not belly dance for anyone, but I taught the other women how to play cymbals and drum and we danced. So, that's how I got my grove back and how my experience in belly dancing made it's influence in a church.

10 comments:

Patricia Pacific Blog said...

To think WE thought you WERE old at 26!!!! I love the name of this Blog. Hey... I shopped at the CO-OP too and loved it. But getting back to your story... I remember you getting out your outfits and drums and cymbals. Then you danced for us at your house just a little and you were so good Connie. You had those perfect hips and tiny waist that boy oh boy... moved when you wanted it to! I was impressed with your hands and fingers and how you turned them. It was really amazing to watch. Then you reminded me that you did play cymbals at church! It was light at first but later you really played them and I thought it really gave sound to our worship that nothing else did and made it feel like those beautiful ancient days of the bible were with us. I suppose you don't throw that beautiful little baladi-choli chiffon turkish dancing dress on much these days? I hear it's coming back into style! We need to see you play your Zills and have a HAFLA! I agree... no tarot cards! Great memories of you're belly dancing stories.

Seamstrix said...

I've really been enjoying belly dancing lately. I'd like to dance more with the zills and get better. Our teacher would like for us to start performing by next Summer (yikes!). I'm probably going to help her with some costuming soon as well. Fun stuff.

Annette said...

Oh Connie, thank you for posting that. It is a BEAUTIFUL picture. I would be proud if I ever was brave enough to become a belly dancer and looked like that. Those are wonderful memories from your youth...keep them alive! The whole post was so interesting to me....I started at the church when it was in the park, I moved along to the Masonic Hall, I remember all of that! And the co-op...my mom and I shopped there too. As I got older, she would drop me off and let me go in and do all of the shopping and pay with her signed check. That was back before everyone was afraid of identity theft. :o) Thank you again for a great post. I loved reading that!
PS: What is a zill and a hafla??

Patricia Pacific Blog said...

Annette.. I was trying to act like I really knew something about Belly-Dancing terminology. The word descriptions are real and I looked them up on the internet to get it right. Zills are the cymbals and the Baladi and choli are the Turkish and Arab names for their respective dress for the dance. Fascinating info on the Web about the origins of belly-dance which by the way is an American term.

Patricia Pacific Blog said...

The Hafla is the celebration or "party" where the dancers come to perform.

Annette said...

We have a belly dancing store right on main St. in Placerville! Connie you would love it. Its not actually a belly dancing store but the woman who owns it is a belly dancer and she has tons of beautiful belly dancing "things" in there. My girls all love to go there and shop. It is called Empress.

Patti you are so funny. Very knowledgeable on so many topics!

CalDreamer said...

If you really want to see some amazing belly dancing, go to YouTube and search for Rachael Brice. I think Erin put up a link somewhere. This lady is gorgeous and has become quite well known.

Seamstrix said...

Hey, I've been to that store! My friends and I had a girls only road trip to Tahoe and stopped there on our way home. That little downtown area is so cute! We also visited the yarn shop.

Annette said...

Lofty Lou's which is across the street? Oh how fun!

Contrary Colleen said...

Your picture is gorgeous!

I just went to empress on Sunday and got some lovely cards and a silk veil. I love that store! I adore belly dancing. I wish I'd taken it up years ago. I'm thinking of expanding from one night a week to two. It's so much fun!