Monday, February 23, 2009

Seamy Needles



After, what -- 30 years, I picked up knitting needles again. They say it's like riding a bike when you use a skill learned years ago. Refreshing my memories was quick, though still limited to what I had learned the last time I took on a knitting project. The advantage this time is that I have way more patience and time. There is still much more to learn. Once all those manipulations are in my skill set, then maybe I'll be able to really start getting creative.

I'm amazed at the resources available now. When I made my first afghan before I married, I purchased the yarn at Capwells. Yep, the department stores had a yarn department and the sales people were knowledgeable teachers. When you had a question, you went back to take a lesson, sit in the store and work on your piece until you had it right. Now, all you have to do is look on line and see a video demonstrating a how-to, download many patterns for free and connect with other people working on the same thing.

I spent the last 4 months working on this sampler afghan taken from an old pattern book I used to make myself one 40 years ago. With this one, I gave myself permission to get a little more creative with it. I explored outside the choice of patterns to use for each block and got some Harmony Guide to Knitting volumes on line. I found a treasure trove and some amazing patterns. Then instead of fringe at the long ends of the afghan that was called for, I chose to knit a separate leaf border trim. I love the color combination, the challenge of creating beautiful squares of patterns from lacy, cables and textures. Then I gave it away to my daughter. I tend to do that a lot. I guess I enjoy doing the project more when it's for someone I care about, expressing my love and hope that the receiver will appreciate the effort that went into my gift.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A very beautiful afghan Connie. Leave it to you to be able to pick up those needles after so many years and produce such a beautiful piece of work. Oh to have your hands and keen eyes for such beautiful fabric arts! Love PP

Annette said...

My oldest daughter and I took a knitting class together a couple years ago. We only know how to knit and pearl....we can make anything that is a rectangle or square. lol We have both made lots of scarves and she has made some neat purses. I bought some wool yarn to make felted purses! We haven't done it yet though.

Your comforter is beautiful. So many different stitches! My gosh...you are a knitting guru. :o)